Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Corn of Summer

I know it may be hard to believe but running is not my only passion, in fact it's a relatively new one (though I have embraced it whole heartedly). Sometimes turning all my attention to the physical makes me feel like a stranger in a strange land, a nerd at heart that wants to roll with the jocks but finds herself dramatically out of place. Of course, that is not to say that people fit so neatly into boxes of one or the other but more so that there are certain cultures associated with different pursuits and sometimes I feel as though I am learning a new language.

But I digress.

Summer's land of plenty produce has ignited one of my other passions. Food. Preparation, consumption, hunting and gathering (at the market), all of it. The briny fresh dirt smell of a perfectly ripened tomato, the pop of fresh sweet corn kernel, pesto rendered from the tender leaves of a basil plant, the foods of summer are a sort of consumable sunshine. Ehrrin introduced me to one of my new favorites, which I have deemed 'goopy' corn, perhaps more aptly known as Mexican street corn. It is corn, slathered with some sort of goo (crema, mayo, sour cream), rolled in cheese, sprinkled with spicy powder of some sort and served with a wedge of lime. Simply delicious. And a new obsession of mine, so much so that the corn supply around casa deSapphic runner have dried up. A situation that must be remedied post haste.

And, what could be a better post run snack than a hot, gooey, ear of corn. Perhaps not so much, better to stick with the tried and true and quintessentially summer Italian ice.

No comments: