Friday, September 5, 2008

Back in the Swing

Forgive me for my pause from the blog-o-sphere, it has taken me a while to get back into the swing of things after being unwittingly knocked off my routine. I am feeling back on top of things this week after a long, hot, Memorial Day run and some shorter more intense runs during the week. Tomorrow brings the Ikea half, I'm not aiming for any personal records, just a nice solid race.

The night before a race I always try and take it easy and eat lots of carbohydrates. Release as much nervousness as possible. My first ever race I ran with my good friend Richard, he came up from Virginia to run with me and we walked to the Italian restaurant in my neighborhood the night before. Normally wine drinkers, we had our fill of water and I feasted on some particularly tasty fish. The night before my first half marathon my friend Paki and I chowed down on some simple pasta and sauce which fueled me well the next day. Pre marathon a pizza and pretzels from the Mellow Mushroom fit the bill, along with over sized cups of sweet tea --- the Southern route to glyco-loading.

Tonight I plan on creating something from the veggies taking up residence in my refrigerator, along with some smoked cheese and pasta, perhaps some garlic bread. Quelling my nerves with carbs.

No comments: