Tuesday, September 9, 2008

One Half Down

I am happy to report that the Ikea half marathon went well, and I finished in a respectable 1:57:29. I've run three half marathons, and this race was in the middle time wise, which I am quite comfortable with. With my unexpected training hiatus I was nervous about how I would feel and held back a little, which enabled me to sail through the last few miles and even sprint over the finish (which is rare for me, even in a 5k). It bodes well, and I'm happy I pulled it out, now on to training for Stomp the Grapes which promises to be a much more challenging race.

The leaves are falling and a chill is creeping into the air, fall will be upon us in a few weeks. The cooler weather makes for some ideal running conditions. I enjoy autumn, and this particular season holds a milestone for me, my 30th birthday. I feel like I'm coming into a home stretch of sorts as the heat of summer burns off, the darkness falls earlier and earlier. A lot has been going on in my head in regards to this transition between my 20's and 30's -- I am looking forward to welcoming a new decade of life and all that it signifies and brings.

In the short term I'm training up for the Great Race -- which qualifies as the race of the year in Pittsburgh. I am not so much a fan of huge races, especially when it comes to the beginning shuffle, but I am looking forward to running it. As long as I remain healthy, I am hopeful that I can shave off some time and descend into Point State Park triumphant!

No comments: